Workshop on Digital Repositories for African Languages
The joined Conference between the Linguistic Association of Ghana (LAG) and West African Linguistic Society (WALS) tagged ‘The Winneba 2017 West African Languages Congress (Winneba 2017 WALC) will hold from 31st July to 5th August, 2017.
At the sidelines of this Conference, a workshop on the Digital Repositories for African Languages will take place. This workshop targets the more general concept of archiving and the more specific notion of database. The workshop will address criteria of sustainability and reusability for the data of the languages of Africa. It will target the moderating, curation, workflows and the implementation of such a repository for African languages. It will equally define the media (video, audio, phonetic measurement, analysis and storage tools) to be stored, as well as levels of data protection and access conditions.
The following Resource Persons have been invited as Keynote/Plenary Speakers at the Winneba LAG/WALC 2017.
- Ken Safir (Rutgers University)
- Lars, Hellan (NTNU, Trondheim)
- Annie Rialland (L’université de Paris 5)
- Dorotha Beermann (Trondheim, NTNU)
- Dafydd Gibbon (University of Bielefeld)
- Hilda Koopman (UCLA). The title of her talk is: Databases and functionality: SSWL and the linguistic explorer project
- Moses Ekpeyong (University of Uyo). The Title of his talk is: IbTalk: Crowdsourcing The Knowledge-base for Indigenous Language Development
- Steven Bird/ Mark Liberman (LDC, University of Penn) – to be confirmed.
- Sophie Salffner (SOAS)– to be confirmed.
- David Nathan (SOAS, Darwin University, Australia) – to be confirmed.
- Thorsen Trippel- to be confirmed.
- Etienne Barnard (South Africa, North West University) – to be confirmed.
- katarzyna Klessa (Poland, Adam Mickiewicz University of Posnan) – to be confirmed.
NB: The Call for Abstracts had earlier been published. It can be assessed from website of the West African Linguistic Society (WALS) : www.westafricanlinguisticssociety.org